October has been a bit of a topsy turvy month, but there has been a definite chill in the air of late, which means time to bring out the hot chocolate again. At the start of the year, I had the most amazing, rich and vegan friendly hot chocolate at Dark Sugars down Brick Lane in Shoreditch, which uses real chocolate. Using real chocolate over a powdered mix feels luxurious, but makes a drink in just five minutes. For this, I’ve used Om Bar’s new Pistachio Centres chocolate, which tastes utterly decadent. Having a creamy centre rather than chunks of pistachio means that the flavour melts right into the drink. Cardamon is one of my favourite species and it works perfectly with the warmth of cacao and nuttiness of pistachio.
Continuously whisking both stops the chocolate from burning at the bottom of the pan, and aerates the milk. You can always use an electric whisk to make your drink even more frothy. Curl up with a cup of this on a Sunday afternoon to slow down your weekend as the nights draw in.
- 250ml (1 cup) cashew, almond or other plant based milk
- 1 35g bar of Om Bar pistachio centres chocolate
- ½ tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp liquid sweetener such as maple syrup, or more to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a milk pan and warm over a low heat, continuously whisking.
- To keep the chocolate raw, keep the milk under 45 degrees centigrade, or bring to 60-65 degrees for a hotter, frothier drink.