One marker of going home to my parents is mum making her and I enough cauliflower cheese to feed an entire family. I’ve managed to convert both parents to vegan mac and cheese for more plant based meals. I’m still going to make classic cauliflower cheese, but I’m always trying challenge myself to eat a bit more plant based and get more veggies into my diet.
I served this up with rice and a leafy salad, but it will work as a light lunch side dish in lots of meals. Try having it for Sunday roast in place of the meaty part of the dish.
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 medium butternut squash
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vegan stock powder
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs or ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Cover the cashews in hot water and allow to soak as you prepare the squash.
- Cut the squash in half lengthways and remove the seeds. Place cut side down in a baking tin and pour over around 100 ml water. Roast for 40 minutes until soft and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower for around 15 minutes until just cooked -there should still be a bit of "bite" to it. Set to one side.
- Whilst the squash cools, drain and rinse the cashews, and using a food processor blitz them with ½ cup water until smooth.
- Scrape out the flesh of the squash and add it, alongside the mustard, vinegar, stock and nutritional yeast and blend. Season to taste.
- Tip the cauliflower into a roasting tin and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle over the flaxseed and breadcrumbs/ground almonds.
- Pop back into the oven for another ten minutes until piping hot and golden.
Let me know if you try this dish, and don’t forget to pin the image below to save for later!